1/2 Photos of Caponata With Poblanos and Roasted Garlic
A spicy, tangy and sweet Sicilian cooked vegetable salad with an added Mexican touch. Which gives this significant heat depending on the poblanos. They tend to be mild, to unpredictably hot. Adding 1 whole bulb of roasted garlic bring this to aaaaaAAAAAHHHhhhh YUM levels!!!!.. You can use Roasted Fresh Chilies Like Poblanos Jalapenos Bell Peppers.. Roasted Garlic With Herbs and Olive Oil these recipes as a guide. Or follow my directions here.I have also Caponata ' Eggplant and Lots of Good Things! posted here on zaar which is equally delish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bulbs garlic, tops cut off
- oil, for garlic just to drizzle
- 4 poblano chiles
- 1/3 cup olive oil or 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 5 cups peeled diced eggplants
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 celery, diced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced black olives
- 1/4 cup rinsed capers
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (Red or white)
- 1Place garlic in foil cut side up, drizzle with oil and wrap in foil.
- 2In a very hot oven as hot as it can go place the poblano's and wrapped garlic on a cookie sheet. Let chili`s crisp and brown turning. Remove poblano`s and place in a bowl with a cover. When cool enough to handle remove skin, seeds and stem. Dice.
- 3Turn oven off and leave garlic in oven.
- 4In a large pot place oil to heat add eggplant and brown about 10 minutes, add squash, celery, onions, and tomatoes cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Add remaining ingredients ( garlic if tender to squeeze)bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6If garlic wasn`t tender add now squeezing it into the mix of veggies.
- 7Stirring occasionally!
- 8Jar or place in a sealed container and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caponata With Poblanos and Roasted Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.5
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 160.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 1.2 g