I have just been turned on to the wonderful taste of caponata, thanks to RitaL! Here is a wonderful recipe adapted from Everyday Italian!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf sourdough bread or 1 loaf country bread, cut crosswise into 6 equal pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 slices drained water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese (1/3-inch-thick)
- 1Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add the celery and saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the eggplant and saute until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
- 4Season with salt.
- 5Add the red pepper and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, raisins, and oregano.
- 8Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 9Simmer over medium-low heat until the flavors blend and the mixture thickens, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- 10Add the vinegar, sugar, and capers.
- 11Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 12Cut the bread pieces horizontally in half.
- 13Grill the bread cut side down on a grill pan over medium high heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- 14Rub the whole garlic cloves over the toasted side of the bread.
- 15Add a slice of mozzarella to bread bottom, spoon the caponata on top, cover with the other bread half and serve.
- 16To take for a picnic: Wrap the sandwiches separately in plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- 17Chill until ready to serve, or keep at room temperature up to 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caponata Picnic Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.5
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 22.3 mg
- Sodium 320.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: