Recipe by MARIA MAC *
This is from Latona's Specialty Foods in New Jersey. It has a nice clean taste and is good served on sliced toasted baguette.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large celery, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomatoes (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄2 cup green olives (pitted and halved)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant (diced)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery cook covered 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add next 8 ingredients, heat to boil
- Cover, simmer on low 20 minutes.
- In a large non stick skillet heat 4 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add eggplant cook 10 minutes or until tender stirring often.
- Stir tomato mixture into eggplant.
- Serve on slices of toasted french bread.