Recipe by *axxo*
I searched the Caponata recipes on Zaar and did not find any with pine nuts and I think the pine nuts really make this Caponata an outstanding recipe. Though the recipe looks complicated it comes together fairly quickly and once all the flavors blend it is just great as a hot summer night dinner with crusty bread and perhaps a tomato salad.
Top Review by Nudist Chef
This recipe is so close to mine it is uncany. I learned how to make it from my Great Grandmother. We did not add the raisens nor vinegar there seems to mbe enough acid in the tomates. I tried it with the pignole like you suggested and wow I have a new recipe Thanks.
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, seeded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (1 lb) can Italian plum tomato, drained and seeded
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons pignolis, I throw in a few extra or 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 large green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup white raisins
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant cubes in a colander and sprinkle with salt, cover with a plate and drain for 30 minutes.
- Saute peppers, onion and celery in 2 T of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, 8 to 12 minutes, Remove from skillet and set aside, add remaining oil to skillet.
- Squeeze excess liquid from eggplant, saute in skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until light brown, 14 to 18 minutes, return peppers, onions and celery mixture to skillet and stir in all ingredients.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, Remove from stove and let stand for about 15 minutes and then refrigerate.