Recipe by Derf
Very good appy served on pita triangles, easy and tasty from cooking light mag. 1988. chill time 8 hrs, included in cook time.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups peeled, diced eggplants
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium green bell pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- pita bread, cut in wedges (optional)
- ripe olives (optional)
- fresh parsley sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a nonaluminum Dutch oven with cooking spray, add oil.
- Place over medium heat until hot, add eggplant, onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce and next 6 ingredients, stir well.
- Cook over low heat 30 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place in medium bowl, cover and chill 8 hours.
- Serve on pita wedges and garnish with ripe olives and parsley, if desired.