Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I saw this prepared on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and they only shared ingredients, not amounts. After searching many french toast recipes, this is what my kids and I arrived at. You'll never search for another French toast recipe after this.
- Pour Cap'n Crunch into a gallon-size ziplock bag and crush to a course meal -- make sure there are a few good size pieces in the mix. Pour into a 9x13 pan in order to dredge properly.
- Combine eggs, sugar, cream, vanilla, and spices in a large bowl. It will have the consistency of custard.
- Soak each slice of Texas Toast in wet ingredients, 30 seconds each side. Be sure the edges are moist, too.
- Dredge in Cap'n Crunch, lightly press onto each side, and around the crust. Place on parchment paper until all slices are coated.
- Heat 2 tbs. butter in large skillet, then gently place slices in pan; two at a time.
- Cook three minutes per side. Place on parchment covered baking pan in a warm oven.
Well I can tell you that I have been to that very diner in the USA, and tried the Capn Crunch French Toast. This recipe HIT IT DEAD ON. Nice job!
I did a variation of this by just putting eggs, milk, 1 Tb baking powder,vanilla, & cinnamon together. Crushing Cap'n Crunch. and dredging the Texas Toast through the liquid then the crunch. I have always cooked the french toast in about 1" of hot cooking oil. What a great recipe. My 7 kids can't get enough of these in the morning!!!!
My husband and I also saw it on TV. I am not a big french toast person and never was, but I love it. We make it every once in awhile. So Good, So Good, So Good!