Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a copycat to Planet Hollywoods Cap'n Crunch Chicken. The first time I made it, I burned it, and we could barely eat it. The second time I made it, it came out perfect and boy is it good! We enjoy ours with my homemade honey-mustard sauce. They make the best combo!
- 2 1⁄2 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in 1 oz. tenders
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Coarsely grind or crush the two cereals and set aside.
- Beat the egg with milk and set aside.
- Stir together the flour, onion and garlic powders and black pepper; set aside Dip the chicken: pieces in the seasoned flour and coat well; shake off the excess flour.
- Dip in the egg wash, coating well, then dip in the cereal mixture, coating well.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet to 325.
- Drop coated chicken tenders carefully in the hot oil and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes depending on size.
- Drain and serve immediately with sauce.
- For sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
The first time I made it, the breading didn't stick well and it was too sweet for our taste. From thereon in, I used 4 cups corn flakes, 2 cups Cap'n Crunch, and doubled the other ingredients; then allowed prepared chicken to set on a wire cooling rack for 15-30 minutes. This recipe also works well baked at 400* F for 20 minutes on a cookie sheet sprayed with PAM instead of fried in oil. Great results; a frequent request from my DH and teens!!
My Son and I made this together. It brought back memories of Plant Hollywood for us in Hawaii. We used CapnCrunch with Crunchberries also added it to the mix. Made it a little more sweet and added wonderful color. Great recipe is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!
We loved it! Just like Planet Hollywood. We also went one to one on the corn flakes and Capt. Crunch. We do not eat a lot of sugar, so we still thought it was a bit sweet. Next time we will probably cut back some more on the Capt. Crunch, but most people will probably love it half and half. I'm no chef and even I can make this one! You have to try this one!!!! Simply great!