Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A great potluck stew that reheats easily (see note below)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 cup wine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) beef consomme or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 6 leeks, washed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- In an oven-safe saucepan, brown meat and then season with salt and pepper. Stir in wine and consomme.
- Cover tightly and cook in oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- On top of stove in seperate pans cook vegetables until done. Drain, but save juices.
- When meat is done, transfer meat to an oven-proof serving dish or casserole dish. Stir in vegetables. Add vegetable juices to meat juices to equal 1 - 1/2 cups of liquid (depending on how much broth you want in your stew) and thicken with flour.
- Pour over meat and vegetables and return dish to oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cheese and garlic.
- **Note: All cooking may be done ahead of time, but for best results, keep cooked meat and vegetables seperate. Reheat meat in serving dish then add vegetables and fnally the parsley/cheese mixture following directions as above.**.
What a nice and easy way to make a delicious and tender beef stew! I made as directed and enjoyed! Thanks for posting, Ellie : )