1/1 Photo of Capirotada De Norteno
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the Border Cookbook, posted for ZWT 3, Mexico. This is a version of Mexican bread pudding from Northern Mexico, using oranges.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 10 -12 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup grated asadero cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove
- whipped cream, for garnish
- 1place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the brandy over them. set aside.
- 2preheat oven to 350. butter a baking dish.
- 3tear the bread into bite size pieces. transfer the bread to the baking dish.
- 4add the pecans and the cheese to the bread, mixing both in lightly.
- 5scatter the raisins over the top, including any brandy not absorbed by the fruit.
- 6pour the sugar into a large, heavy saucepan. warm over medium high heat till the sugar melts and turns a deep golden brown, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- 7stir occasionally to ensure even melting.
- 8pour the water into the molten sugar, standing back from the pan to avoid the steam that will rise as the water hits the sugar.
- 9the mixture will partially solidify.
- 10continue cooking till liquid again, stirring occasionally. add the orange juice, butter, vanilla and spices to the syrup.
- 11ladle the syrup carefully over the bread.
- 12when the preparation is complete, the syrup should be about level with the top of the bread.
- 13if any bread pieces aren't coated, push them into the syrup.
- 14bake for 20-25 minutes, till the syrup has absorbed and the cheese has melted into the pudding.
- 15serve the pudding hot, topped with whipped cream if you like.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Capirotada De Norteno
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 322.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 60.1 g
- Protein 7.3 g