Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 slices toasted breadcrumbs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, Grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- whipped cream (optional)
- Toast the sliced bread, break into 2" pieces.
- Make a syrup of water, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Butter an oblong baking pan.
- Layer bread, cheese, raisins and butter.
- Pour syrup over bread mixture and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until syrup is absorbed.
- May be served warm or cold.
- If served warm, top with whipped cream.
Its not capirotada if you use sugar! It MUST be piloncillo or at the very least brown sugar. I like the simpleness of this recipe though. I exchange the cheddar for queso fresco and add nuts to mine. Most traditional recipes also add onions and tomatoes (as weird as it sounds). I usually leave out the onion.
Just like my grandmother used to make.
I made this last week. When I read the recipe I thought it was to simple to taste good. But boy was I surprized. It was awesome! Just like I remember when I was a child. I will make again and again.