Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are really delicious put in salads.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 170 g capers, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and fry over low heat until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Increase the heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Add the sugar and cook for 15 minutes until onion is caramelised.
- Add the capers and vinegar and bring to the boil then reduce and simmer until the liquid is sort of syrupy.
- Rinse a glass jar with boiling water and dry in a warm oven.
- Spoon in the capers and liquid and seal.
- Store for up to 3 months and refrigerate after opening.
Yummy, Delicious, We had some of these on a green Salad with Grapes and Pear. What a nice addition to the salad. We love capers and balsamic vingar, this is so easy to make, this recipe is a KEEPER, Thank you.
These are delicious! I'm eating them right out of the jar! Of course, anything with balsamic vinegar in it is game for me! Wonderful, thanks!