Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Originally by Lidia Bastianich, from Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Capellini With Shellfish, Haricots Verts & Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb large scallop (halved or quartered depending on their size)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups cored peeled and crushed plum tomatoes (I like San Marzano brand) or 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, seeded, and crushed (I like San Marzano brand)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb French haricots vert, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lb dried capellini or 1⁄2 lb linguine
- Put the clams and about 1/2 cup water in a medium skillet.
- Cover and steam over high heat until the clams open, about 2 minute Discard any that don't open.
- Remove the clams and reserve.
- Strain the liquid from the pan and reserve.
- In the same skillet, wiped dry, heat 2 Tbs. of the oil over high heat.
- Add the scallops and sear on both sides until lightly browned, about 2 min.; remove and reserve them.
- In the same skillet, heat the crushed garlic in the remaining 2 Tbs. oil until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and red pepper flakes and simmer over moderate heat for 15 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt.
- Add the haricots verts and cook until just tender; remove with a slotted spoon and add them to the tomato sauce. (Keep the water boiling.)
- Add the scallops, the clams, and the strained clam liquid to the tomato sauce and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 3 minute
- Stir in the parsley.
- While the sauce reduces, stir the pasta into the boiling water and cover until the water comes back to a boil.
- Uncover and cook until the pasta just starts to become pliable but is still somewhat firm, about 2 minute
- With tongs, lift the pasta, let it drain for a moment over the boiling water, and add it to the sauce, tossing well, to finish cooking.
- When the pasta is al dente, transfer the pasta and sauce to a warm serving platter or individual bowls and serve immediately.