Originally by Lidia Bastianich, from Fine Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb large scallop (halved or quartered depending on their size)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups cored peeled and crushed plum tomatoes (I like San Marzano brand) or 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, seeded, and crushed (I like San Marzano brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 lb French haricots vert, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 lb dried capellini or 1/2 lb linguine
- 1Put the clams and about 1/2 cup water in a medium skillet.
- 2Cover and steam over high heat until the clams open, about 2 minute Discard any that don't open.
- 3Remove the clams and reserve.
- 4Strain the liquid from the pan and reserve.
- 5In the same skillet, wiped dry, heat 2 Tbs. of the oil over high heat.
- 6Add the scallops and sear on both sides until lightly browned, about 2 min.; remove and reserve them.
- 7In the same skillet, heat the crushed garlic in the remaining 2 Tbs. oil until lightly browned.
- 8Add the tomatoes and red pepper flakes and simmer over moderate heat for 15 minute.
- 9Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt.
- 10Add the haricots verts and cook until just tender; remove with a slotted spoon and add them to the tomato sauce. (Keep the water boiling.)
- 11Add the scallops, the clams, and the strained clam liquid to the tomato sauce and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 3 minute
- 12Stir in the parsley.
- 13While the sauce reduces, stir the pasta into the boiling water and cover until the water comes back to a boil.
- 14Uncover and cook until the pasta just starts to become pliable but is still somewhat firm, about 2 minute
- 15With tongs, lift the pasta, let it drain for a moment over the boiling water, and add it to the sauce, tossing well, to finish cooking.
- 16When the pasta is al dente, transfer the pasta and sauce to a warm serving platter or individual bowls and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Capellini With Shellfish, Haricots Verts & Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.9
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 48.2 mg
- Sodium 1890.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 28.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crushed plum tomatoes