Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A simple but delicious change of pace from ordinary pasta. Layered flavors with smoky bacon and a kick from pickled italian peppers (peperoncini). Don't be afraid of heat, they do not overwhelm.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 10 pepperoncini peppers, drained, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups crushed peeled Italian tomatoes (about one 35-oz. can, drained)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb capellini (angel hair)
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- In a large, nonreactive skillet, heat 3 Tbs. of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minute Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 minute.
- Add the peperoncini, tomatoes, and salt, and simmer for about 10 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quart salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 3 minute Drain the pasta and toss it with the rest of the olive oil. Stir in the sauce. Add the cheese, toss well, and serve immediately, garnished with the parsley if you like.