1/1 Photo of Capellini and Shrimp Alla Rosa
1 hr 10 mins
This is probably my favorite pasta recipe of all time. Originally from Food & Wine's "Pasta" cookbook, I've tweaked it over the years to my taste. Here's their description: "Slender capellini soak up sauce like a blotter. So, toss the pasta first with butter and then ladle the basil-infused sauce over each portion." Their wine recommendation is a Vinho Verde from Portugal. Yum, one of my favorites too! This recipe doubles and triples very well - I've served it many times for dinner parties and everyone loves it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 lb capellini or 3/4 lb angel hair pasta
- 1In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until thick, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- 3During the last 10 minutes of cooking, put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil, getting ready for the pasta.
- 4Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher until all large pieces are broken up. (Original recipe says to run through a food mill, but I don't think it's necessary)
- 5Add the heavy cream and bring the sauce to a boil over moderate heat.
- 6Add the shrimp and basil and cook just until the shrimp are pink, about 4 minutes.
- 7Add salt to the pot of boiling water, then add the pasta. Cook until the pasta is just done, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- 8Toss the pasta with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- 9The original recipe says to serve the pasta topped with the sauce, but we like to just mix it all together in the pot and serve already coated.
- 10You can pass freshly grated parmesan at the table, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Capellini and Shrimp Alla Rosa
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.9
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 153.3 mg
- Sodium 1186.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 25.3 g