Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Known for its combination sweet-savory flavors. From Cooking Light. Per 1 1/4 c. serving: 349 calories, 11.5 g fat, 25.7 g protein, 35.3 g carb, 3.9 g fiber, 71 mg cholesterol.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup apricot fruit spread (such as Polaner All Fruit)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Mix together the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over med-high heat.
- Add in spice mixture; cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add in onion; stir/sauté 2 minutes.
- Add in ginger, bay leaves, and garlic; stir/sauté 15 seconds.
- Add in beef; stir/sauté 3 minutes.
- Add in broth and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover; remove bay leaves; simmer 30 minutes or until beef is very tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in buttermilk; serve over hot cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles, if desired.