Recipe by Ck2plz
This recipe is from Afri-Chef. It is noted that variation of chili bites actually comes from where on the Cape Peninsula the recipe originated. This is because the availability of spices varied by distance from the harbour. The types of flours and spices vary as do the amounts and type of chillis used. The water amount is at your discretion-See instructtions. tServings is roughly 30 bites.
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 bunch spinach leaves, shred in small pieces
- 1 small green apple, grated
- 473.18 ml pea flour
- 118.29 ml cake flour
- 9.85 ml dried chilies, crushed
- 2.46 ml red masala
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- water, enough to not make the batter runny
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 473.18 ml sunflower oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate or chop the onion very finely.
- Core and grate the apple.
- Shred the spinach leaves into small pieces.
- Sift the pea and cake flours into a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients excepting the sunflower oil and baking powder.
- Add enough water to make a thick batter. It must not be runny.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan until fairly, but not excessively, hot.
- Stir the baking powder into the batter just before frying.
- Using a tablespoon drop the batter into the oil and fry slowly until golden brown. [ensure your oil doesn't get too hot, otherwise your chilli bites will burn].
- Test by piercing with a skewer. If it comes out dry your chilli bites are ready.
- Remove from the heat and drain on absorbant paper [kitchen towel] or in a colander if you possess one.