This recipe is from Afri-Chef. It is noted that variation of chili bites actually comes from where on the Cape Peninsula the recipe originated. This is because the availability of spices varied by distance from the harbour. The types of flours and spices vary as do the amounts and type of chillis used. The water amount is at your discretion-See instructtions. tServings is roughly 30 bites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 bunch spinach leaves, shred in small pieces
- 1 small green apple, grated
- 2 cups pea flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons dried chilies, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- water, enough to not make the batter runny
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sunflower oil
- 1Grate or chop the onion very finely.
- 2Core and grate the apple.
- 3Shred the spinach leaves into small pieces.
- 4Sift the pea and cake flours into a large bowl.
- 5Add all the other ingredients excepting the sunflower oil and baking powder.
- 6Add enough water to make a thick batter. It must not be runny.
- 7Heat the oil in a deep frying pan until fairly, but not excessively, hot.
- 8Stir the baking powder into the batter just before frying.
- 9Using a tablespoon drop the batter into the oil and fry slowly until golden brown. [ensure your oil doesn't get too hot, otherwise your chilli bites will burn].
- 10Test by piercing with a skewer. If it comes out dry your chilli bites are ready.
- 11Remove from the heat and drain on absorbant paper [kitchen towel] or in a colander if you possess one.
Browse Our Top African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cape Malay Chilli Bites Dhaltjies
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 94.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: