Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A spicy alternative to Meat Loaf, it is a traditional dish made by South Africans of Malaysian decent. I tried it when on holiday there.
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 small onions, coarsely cut
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 handful raisins
- 2 tablespoons chutney
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tomatoes, cut up
- 4 sl bread
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Warm a heavy pot. Put in first 8 ingredients, warm thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and add next 6 ingredients. Return to low heat and mix until bubbly.
- Dampen and dice bread. Add to mixture and stir well.
- Add ground beef and cook for 15 minutes.
- Fill a shallow greased casserole dish with Baboti mixture.
- Beat egg with milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over Baboti mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes (until custard is golden).
- Serve with yellow rice and salad.
very tasty and a little bit more spicy than the traditional south african recipe. I think 2 slices of bread is more than enough considering the size of the slices these days. I did however leave out the sugar and halved the salt. Will definitely make this again.