1/1 Photo of Cape Cod Portuguese Kale Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
This is an authentic Portuguese Kale soup. I don't use the dried bans, I use canned canneloni instead. It saves time and I like them better than the red variety. The number of servings is a guess as the size of your bowl and appetite varies. Also whether you use this as a main dish or soup course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water) or 1 cup use 2 cans cannellini beans
- 5 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb kale (broken up into small pieces or shredded)
- 1 large onion, diced coarsely
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, skinned and broken up
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth is very salty, as is sausage (optional)
- 1Soak beans overnight in cold water. In morning, drain beans.
- 2("OR" used canned beans and cut down cooking time.).
- 3In large pot, add beans, onions, sausage, kale, salt/pepper, vinegar, beef broth and 2 cups of the water.
- 4Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook gently for 3 hours.
- 5Add potatoes and 1 or 2 cups more water.
- 6Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cape Cod Portuguese Kale Soup
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.3
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.9 mg
- Sodium 1274.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: