This is an authentic Portuguese Kale soup. I don't use the dried bans, I use canned canneloni instead. It saves time and I like them better than the red variety. The number of servings is a guess as the size of your bowl and appetite varies. Also whether you use this as a main dish or soup course.
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water) or 1 cup use 2 cans cannellini beans
- 5 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb kale (broken up into small pieces or shredded)
- 1 large onion, diced coarsely
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, skinned and broken up
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, broth is very salty, as is sausage (optional)
- 1 -2 cup water (as needed while cooking)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 -2 cup water
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. In morning, drain beans.
- ("OR" used canned beans and cut down cooking time.).
- In large pot, add beans, onions, sausage, kale, salt/pepper, vinegar, beef broth and 2 cups of the water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook gently for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and 1 or 2 cups more water.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.