Recipe by jak9173
From The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion Book
Top Review by half_baked
This is an excellent recipe! I followed pretty closely, except I substituted 1/3 of the butter with toasted walnut oil. I found this recipe while searching for a bar version of my family's favorite cranbery-apple pie. The bars are more crowd friendly. I have saved this recipe and will make it again and again. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 drops butter pecan flavoring, I didn't have it (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled peeled cored and chopped apples
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 or 11 X 11 pan.
- For crust, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, and salt. Add the flavorings, then use your fingers, a pastry blender, or a mixer to cut in the butter, mixing until everything is crumbly. Stir in the nuts. Set aside about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs, then press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, in a food processor, combine the cranberries, apples, raspberries and sugar and pulse a few times to chop the cranberries. Add the flour and melted butter, pulsing briefly to combine.
- Spread the filling over the crust. Crumble the reserved crust mixture over the filling. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the mixture bubbles and the crumbs on top are golden. Remove from oven and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into bars.