Recipe by Chabear01
Posting this as Chef Zee(thank you Chef Zee) gave it to me for ZWT - Africa, this satisfies the South Africa Challenge. This is Cass Abrahams' recipe- she is a Malay Cookery writer.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
this is delicious although I did a few amount adjustments, it wasn't spicy enough for our taste so I added in some cayenne pepper, I omitted the cardamom pods and used ground nutmeg, great combo of flavors, this was made for KK's tag game, thank you for a great recipe Char!
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 sticks cassia (you can use 1/2 tsp nutmeg instead)
- 1 large tomatoes, ripe, chopped
- 1 large roasting chicken, cut up
- 5 garlic cloves (use less if you don't care for garlic)
- 3⁄4 inch fresh gingerroot
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon masala (if you can't find this use 2 tsp mild curry powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 sprig curry leaf (if you can't find this leave it out or use lemon or lime leaves, bruised to let flavour through)
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish (you can use parsley instead)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan fry the onion with cardamom pods cand cassia (nutmeg) until soft. Add tomato and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Pound garlic, ginger and chili together(in a mortar and pestle) to form a paste. Add chicken together with cumin, coriander, masala and turmeric. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add curry(or lemon/lime leaves) and simmer a further 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves(parsley) and serve over cooked rice.
- Per Chef Zee - the liquid seems sparse. No reason why you can't add more tomato, and then also add a good pinch of sugar against possible acidity from the tomato.
- Good luck and enjoy!