Prep 7 mins
Cook 10 mins
This traditional South African pudding was doubtlessly created with cold winter's nights in mind! Delectable and filling, this date and nut pudding with its syrup topping is a must for your repertoire of desserts.
- 125 ml boiling water
- 100 g chopped dates
- 3 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 30 ml butter
- 75 ml white sugar
- 200 ml cake flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 125 ml white sugar
- 125 ml hot water
- 15 ml butter
- 30 ml brandy
- 3 ml vanilla extract
- Pour boiling water over dates, set aside to soften.
- Add bicarb, butter and sugar and blend well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and fold into the date mixture.
- Add egg and walnuts and mix.
- Lightly grease a microwave pan and bake for 5 –6 minutes on 100% power.
- For the syrup combine sugar, water and butter in a glass bowl and microwave on 100% power for 1 – 2 minutes until boiling point.
- Stir in vanilla and brandy.
- Pour hot syrup over warm tart.
- Serve with cream.
Oh wow do you know how hard it has been to get hold of this recipe? And I've never seen a microwave version. Thanks so much!
Loved it loved it loved it! A dessert that is ready from start to finish in 17 minutes AND is tasty! I made the batter a bit early and then popped in the microwave right before serving it. It was perfect. Thanks!
this is the best dessert in a micro i have ever made- you'd never know that this was made in under 15 mins from start to finish. the cake was delicious and the syrup soaked into it added so much more flavor, so wonderful. i used brandy. very precise directions, and the most wonderful result! we served it with fresh whipped cream. i'll be making this often.