Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From cook book "The Food of the World"
- 3⁄4-1 kg whole carp or 3⁄4-1 kg bream or 3⁄4-1 kg grouper or 3⁄4-1 kg sea bass
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 spring onions, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the fish in a large bowl.
- Add the rice wine, soy sauce, chopped ginger and sesame oil, and toss lightly to coat.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the fish on a heatproof plate, with the marinade, and place in a steamer. Steam over simmering water in a covered wok for 5-8 minutes, or until the fish flakes when the skin is pressed firmly or the dorsal fin pulls out easily.
- Remove the fish from the steamer and place in a heatproof platter.
- Heat a wok over high heat, add the oil and heat until smoking.
- Sprinkle the steamed fish with the spring onion, shredded ginger and pepper, and slowly pour the hot oil over the fish.
- This will cause the skin to crisp, and cook the garnish.