Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
ZWT6 - Asia
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- chow mein noodles, for garnish
- In large saucepan, lightly brown pork in oil, stirring frequently. Stir in soy sauce, pepper and ginger.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with noodles.
I made this for the two us for dinner tonight. I used all the pork and cabbage and 4 cups of stock. I used fresh chow mein noodles which I heated, then put in the bottom of the bowl. I added in an onion, one clove of garlic and used fresh ginger as I think it works better than powder in asian food. I garnished the finished soup with fresh coriander and served lime wedges on the side. This is a spectacularly yummy soup and while it would be good as written, it was unbelievable with those few additions. Thanks so much for posting.
I thought this was okay, but a bit bland so I added a thai chili pepper to the mix. I think I will try some of the reviewers suggestions next time and see if if comes out more fab.
Mmm mmm good! I made this soup as written using pre-cut bagged cabbage and fresh chow mein noodles. Next time will be following the advice of other reviewers by adding some fresh cilantro and green onion to make it an over the top soup. Thanks so much for the post.