1/1 Photo of Cantonese Shrimp
A very tasty shrimp dish that does taste authentically Chinese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 slices gingerroot, ¼ inch thick
- 1/4 lb ground pork or 1/4 lb beef
- 3 green onions, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1Peel and devein the shrimp.
- 2Rinse thoroughly, pat dry and coat with cornstarch (do this in a small plastic bag, a few shrimp at a time).
- 3Peel and smash the garlic.
- 4Rinse the black beans under hot water, then drain well.
- 5In separate bowls, combine the First and Second Sauces so they are ready to be added.
- 6Cook the shrimp in boiling salted (1 tsp) water for 30-40 seconds.
- 7Drain and pat dry.
- 8Place on a platter.
- 9Heat a wok and add the oil.
- 10Heat for 15 seconds, then add the ginger slices.
- 11Stir until lightly browned, then add the garlic.
- 12Stir until lightly browned.
- 13Remove and discard both.
- 14Add the salted beans, stir for 10 seconds, then add the ground pork or beef.
- 15Stir vigorously to mix and break up the meat.
- 16Cook until the meat is no longer pink and add the green onions.
- 17Stir another 30 seconds, add the shrimp, and stir to mix well.
- 18Mix the First Sauce quickly and pour down the side of the wok, stirring all the while.
- 19Shovel the contents of the wok to one side.
- 20Mix the Second Sauce quickly and pour down the vacated side of the wok.
- 21Stir to thicken with the point of the spatula.
- 22Mix with the shrimp.
- 23Reduce the heat.
- 24Pour the beaten egg over the shrimp.
- 25Allow to set for 15 seconds then fold in slowly until soft threads appear.
- 26Stir gently to mix.
- 27Remove to a platter and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cantonese Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.1
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 204.6 mg
- Sodium 1069.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans