A very tasty shrimp dish that does taste authentically Chinese.
Make and share this Cantonese Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 slices gingerroot, ¼ inch thick
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork or 1⁄4 lb beef
- 3 green onions, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- Rinse thoroughly, pat dry and coat with cornstarch (do this in a small plastic bag, a few shrimp at a time).
- Peel and smash the garlic.
- Rinse the black beans under hot water, then drain well.
- In separate bowls, combine the First and Second Sauces so they are ready to be added.
- Cook the shrimp in boiling salted (1 tsp) water for 30-40 seconds.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Place on a platter.
- Heat a wok and add the oil.
- Heat for 15 seconds, then add the ginger slices.
- Stir until lightly browned, then add the garlic.
- Stir until lightly browned.
- Remove and discard both.
- Add the salted beans, stir for 10 seconds, then add the ground pork or beef.
- Stir vigorously to mix and break up the meat.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink and add the green onions.
- Stir another 30 seconds, add the shrimp, and stir to mix well.
- Mix the First Sauce quickly and pour down the side of the wok, stirring all the while.
- Shovel the contents of the wok to one side.
- Mix the Second Sauce quickly and pour down the vacated side of the wok.
- Stir to thicken with the point of the spatula.
- Mix with the shrimp.
- Reduce the heat.
- Pour the beaten egg over the shrimp.
- Allow to set for 15 seconds then fold in slowly until soft threads appear.
- Stir gently to mix.
- Remove to a platter and serve immediately.