Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great dinner salad for a warm summer day. My mother found this recipe and introduced me to it. I love the salad, even though it is a bit time consuming to make. With a hard roll, this is a complete meal.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, medium size, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄4 cups chow mein noodles
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups boneless chicken breasts, skinned and sliced into 2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 lb sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup snow peas, cut into 3 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 10 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Combine the lettuce, celery, and cilantro in a large bowl. Spread noodles over the top.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat, add chicken and stir until lightly browned and no longer pink. Add water chestnuts and peas and stir 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and arrange over salad.
- Garnish with green onions,almonds, and radishes.
- Add about 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups of dressing and toss well. Pass the remaining dressing separately.
- TO MAKE DRESSING: Combine all ingredients, except mayonnaise, in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Add mayonnaise and blend until smooth. Makes 2-1/4 cups of dressing.