Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great dinner salad for a warm summer day. My mother found this recipe and introduced me to it. I love the salad, even though it is a bit time consuming to make. With a hard roll, this is a complete meal.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, medium size, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄4 cups chow mein noodles
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups boneless chicken breasts, skinned and sliced into 2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 lb sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup snow peas, cut into 3 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 10 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Combine the lettuce, celery, and cilantro in a large bowl. Spread noodles over the top.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat, add chicken and stir until lightly browned and no longer pink. Add water chestnuts and peas and stir 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and arrange over salad.
- Garnish with green onions,almonds, and radishes.
- Add about 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups of dressing and toss well. Pass the remaining dressing separately.
- TO MAKE DRESSING: Combine all ingredients, except mayonnaise, in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Add mayonnaise and blend until smooth. Makes 2-1/4 cups of dressing.
A few shortcuts I have found cut down the prep time and the salad is still delicious: 1. Use prepackaged cooked and sliced chicken tenders or canned chicken in water. 2. Ready salad mix works just as well. 3. Serve dressing and chow mein noodles on the side. That way, you can store the leftovers. This recipe makes a lot of salad, enough for two meals for 4 people. May have to cut it back by half for a small family.