Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I first tasted this recipe at an Art Seminar in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I reworked it somewhat to suit our taste. It was a big hit at a recent dinner.
- 2 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 18 g au jus mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges or 1 (11 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and syrup reserved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and brown in the oil.
- Add the onions and cook until onions are soft.Sprinkle with pepper. Add soy sauce, ginger and the drained syrup from the oranges or pineapple.
- Combine the AUS JUS Mix with the orange juice and water and add to the beef. Cover and cook over low heat until meat is tender. About 1 hour.
- Sauté green peppers and mushrooms in a little oil for a couple of minutes. Add the celery and water chestnuts and cook a couple more minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch with the 1/4 c water.
- Add to the tender cooked meat. Stir until thickened. Add the Veggies and heat through.
- I served this with Recipe #61712 but did not use the chicken called for.
- *KNORR makes a wonderful "AU JUS" gravy mix.