3 hrs 45 mins
Succulent beef and kidney under golden puff pastry make the Canteen Restaurant's traditional steak and kidney pie a real winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons flour
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 1/4 lbs shin beef
- 1 tablespoon beef drippings
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pint beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 7 ounces lambs kidneys, diced
- 1 2/3 lbs puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°F Dice the vegetables and season the flour with salt, pepper and a big pinch of allspice. Toss with the beef until well coated.
- 2Heat the beef dripping in a large casserole with a well fitting lid. Fry the meat for 4-5 minutes on each side, until brown.
- 3Remove the meat from the casserole and add the diced vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, beer, Worcestershire sauce, dried mushrooms and stock.
- 5Return the beef to the pan and stir well, scraping any residue from the base of the pan.
- 6Add the bay leaves and thyme and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- 7Season the kidneys and add to the casserole. Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, until the beef is tender, but not falling apart.
- 8Remove the casserole from the oven and strain the liquid into a clean pan. Cook over a gentle heat until reduced by half. Season to taste.
- 9Meanwhile, increase the oven temperature to 350°F Roll the puff pastry out on a well-floured surface. Line 6 individual pie tins, leaving a little pastry to overlap the edges. Cut out 6 lids.
- 10Fill with the beef mixture and brush the edges with beaten egg. Place lid on top and seal edges with a fork. Trim the edges with a knife. Brush the pies with beaten egg and pierce a small hole in the centres to allow steam to escape.
- 11Bake for 35 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Serve with mash and buttered greens.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canteen Steak and Kidney Pie
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 972.3
- Calories from Fat 535
- Total Fat 59.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 189.1 mg
- Sodium 746.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 37.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: