Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Succulent beef and kidney under golden puff pastry make the Canteen Restaurant's traditional steak and kidney pie a real winner.
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons flour
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 1⁄4 lbs shin beef
- 1 tablespoon beef drippings
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pint beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 7 ounces lambs kidneys, diced
- 1 2⁄3 lbs puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Dice the vegetables and season the flour with salt, pepper and a big pinch of allspice. Toss with the beef until well coated.
- Heat the beef dripping in a large casserole with a well fitting lid. Fry the meat for 4-5 minutes on each side, until brown.
- Remove the meat from the casserole and add the diced vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, beer, Worcestershire sauce, dried mushrooms and stock.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir well, scraping any residue from the base of the pan.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Season the kidneys and add to the casserole. Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, until the beef is tender, but not falling apart.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and strain the liquid into a clean pan. Cook over a gentle heat until reduced by half. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, increase the oven temperature to 350°F Roll the puff pastry out on a well-floured surface. Line 6 individual pie tins, leaving a little pastry to overlap the edges. Cut out 6 lids.
- Fill with the beef mixture and brush the edges with beaten egg. Place lid on top and seal edges with a fork. Trim the edges with a knife. Brush the pies with beaten egg and pierce a small hole in the centres to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Serve with mash and buttered greens.