Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
This Spanish appetizer course is adapted from the September 2010 Issue of Bon Appetite. Cut the melon slices into pieces, but leave it attached to the rind. This gives the dish a rustic presentation and makes it easier to eat. For an authentic Spanish taste. look for Spanish olive oil and Seranno ham.
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
- sea salt
- 1 cantaloupe, quartered and seeded
- 1⁄2 lb serrano ham, very thinly sliced, then cut into 2-inch long pieces (you can substitute prosciutto)
- fresh chives, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Vinaigrette:.
- Pour vinegar into a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt, to taste. Set aside.
- For the Cantaloupe:.
- Cut each melon quarter into 4 long wedges. Partially cut the melon on each wedge into 4 or 5 sections (do not cut through peel). This can be done up to 2 hours ahead of time.
- Slide the ham slices into each cut in the melon wedges. Arrange the melon wedges onto a large platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with the chives.