Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This delicious way of preparing cantaloupe has been in use in our family for many years. Late summer is cantaloupe time!If you want to tie the spices into a bag of cheesecloth or use a tea ball, then you won't have to strain the liquid!
- 1 medium cantaloupe
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup equivalent in sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- watercress (optional)
- Peel and seed cantaloupe.
- Cut into bite size pieces or make melon balls.
- Place in a shallow bowl.
- Combine sugar or sugar substitue, pickling spices, vinegar and water in a small saucepan; heat to boiling, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain over cantaloupe, toss to combine.
- Cover and chill for several hours or overnight to blend flavors.
- Serve on plates with a garnish of little bundles of watercress, if desired.