Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Rule to follow when choosing a melon: if it doesn’t smell like a cantaloupe, it won’t taste like a cantaloupe.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the water in a small custard cup; set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- Chop the cantaloupe, reserving any juice; place chunks, juices, and salt in a blender.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the canister as needed; set aside.
- Warm 1 cup of milk in a small saucepan over low heat; stir in the sugar until dissolved.
- Decrease heat to very low and stir in the gelatin mixture, just until dissolved, for no more than 20 seconds; do not simmer.
- Pour the warm milk mixture and the remaining 1 cup milk into the blender with the cantaloupe puree; blend until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl; refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve at once or transfer to freezer containers and store in freezer for up to 1 month.