Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Now this is the way to eat fruit! The recipe is from Everyday Italian on the Food Network. I love Giada!
- 2 cups light red wine, preferably Pinot Noir
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cantaloupe, halved and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- Warm wine in a shallow saucepan over low heat; it should be steaming but not simmering. Dissolve sugar in wine; remove from heat. Pour into medium glass bowl and allow to completely cool.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out balls of cantaloupe and add to the wine mixture. Thinly slice the outer peel from half a lemon into 4 strips; add to bowl. Add chopped basil. Stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Divide between 4 wine glasses and serve chilled.
- NOTE: The cantaloupe is meant to be eaten, not drunk, although you can feel free to drink up the rest of the wine afterwards! I just thought I should clarify.
This is NICE. Warming without simmering preserves the alcohol's zip and the basil adds an unexpected accent. Definitely sip up the wine after the fruit is gone!