Recipe by SusieQusie
Recipe courtesy of: Dinner in the Diner - Great Railroad Recipes - T&P Railway was originally chartered by Congress in 1871 to establish rail service from Texas to San Diego. This pie was a signature dessert in their first class dining car. DH and I are avid railfans and his huge collection of models and memorabilia is all T&P badged. The original, ornate station in south Fort Worth was recently refurbished and sold as loft condominiums http://www.texasandpacificlofts.com - This has nothing to do with the recipe of course but is where we dream of living someday (after everyone else moves out and we have the whole building to ourselves, of course ;-)). I will make cantaloupe pies as I listen for the steam engines to come puffing up the tracks; a long wait for sure but hey, it is *my* dream!
Top Review by crazycookinmama
I don't want to be the first to review...because it totally could have been a mistake on my part. I followed every instruction to a T..but the filling didn't harden up...it seemed to have a little too much nutmeg in it for me, and it just soaked the crust. It was probably cooker's error, so please someone else try and review this because I want to know what you think. Making it was alot of fun, and all the ingredients sounded wonderful, but it just didn't work for me.
- 1 very ripe cantaloupe (over ripe yields the most juice)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (more or less depending on how juicy your cantaloupe is)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 prebaked pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice cantaloupe in half, deseed and remove rind, reserving all juices. Cut into small pieces and push through a ricer.
- Place melon with juice and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix sugar and flour and slowly add to hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add butter and nutmeg, stir until butter melts.
- Cool and pour into prebaked pie crust.
- If desired, top with meringue made according to your favorite recipe and brown in oven.