1/1 Photo of Cantaloupe Pie Ala Texas and Pacific
Recipe courtesy of: Dinner in the Diner - Great Railroad Recipes - T&P Railway was originally chartered by Congress in 1871 to establish rail service from Texas to San Diego. This pie was a signature dessert in their first class dining car. DH and I are avid railfans and his huge collection of models and memorabilia is all T&P badged. The original, ornate station in south Fort Worth was recently refurbished and sold as loft condominiums http://www.texasandpacificlofts.com - This has nothing to do with the recipe of course but is where we dream of living someday (after everyone else moves out and we have the whole building to ourselves, of course ;-)). I will make cantaloupe pies as I listen for the steam engines to come puffing up the tracks; a long wait for sure but hey, it is *my* dream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice cantaloupe in half, deseed and remove rind, reserving all juices. Cut into small pieces and push through a ricer.
- 2Place melon with juice and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Mix sugar and flour and slowly add to hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- 4Add butter and nutmeg, stir until butter melts.
- 5Cool and pour into prebaked pie crust.
- 6If desired, top with meringue made according to your favorite recipe and brown in oven.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cantaloupe Pie Ala Texas and Pacific
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 144.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 43.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g