Recipe by littleturtle
Preserved melon with a hint of ginger. Probably one of the more unusual fruits to preserve, but delicious. Would make a special gift.
- 1 lb cantaloupe balls (peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes, should be 2 1/2-3 cups) or 1 lb honeydew, cubes (peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes, should be 2 1/2-3 cups)
- ice water
- 1⁄2 cup Everclear alcohol or 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 piece dried ginger (small piece)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drop melon into boiling water.
- Let water return to a boil, then drain.
- Rinse with ice water, and let drain for 20 minutes.
- Spread the melon on a platter, sprinkle with alcohol and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Make a syrup by mixing 2 cups of the sugar with the cup of water.
- Add the ginger to the syrup and cook mixture over low heat, gradually adding the rest of the sugar.
- Add the melon to the syrup and continue cooking until melon becomes transparent.
- Remove the ginger.
- When mixture has cooled, place in jars and seal.