Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tastes like sunshine in a jar! My mom loves cantaloupes and was thrilled to receive a jar for Christmas. Yummy on hot biscuits! This is a Southern, Californian and Mexican/Tex Mex recipe. Melons are grown in these places!
- Place the cantaloupe in a bowl and add the lemon juice and rind.
- Pour the sugar over the top and let stand overnight.
- Transfer to a large kettle and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thick.
- Let cool to room temperature, then stir to keep the fruits evenly distributed.
- Pour in hot sterilized glasses and seal.
This recipe is great,next time I will triple it.It took 2 hours to simmer down.I,m waiting for more of my cantelopes to ripen and will make more.I did add the 11/2 cups of sugar extra .
I found this recipe to taste great but it took forever for it to set up. I believe some of the instructions are missing. I had to add 1 1/2 cups more of sugar in the end to get it to set. It is a great hit with my family though.
Nice. I used less sugar than called for, so it never quite fully set; it has a more preserve-ish consistency, but it's good! Thanks for sharing.