1/1 Photo of Cantaloupe-Lime-Granita
2 hrs 10 mins
Not overly sweet and lime, mint and white wine (Pino Grigio or a very dry and fruity white wine) give this Granita a summerly freshness. The sweetness of a ripe cantaloupe melon is often enough, so that you don't need to add more sugar. I like the cantaloupe not too ripe with a still lightly green colored flesh. In this stage the cantaloupe has some pear flavors and a sweetness of honey. This goes well together with lime and a dry white wine. The mint or peppermint add just a hint here. I prepare a Granita often one day in advance and mix it with a fork from time to time. Served in chilled glasses or a freezed half melon it is a wonderful dessert on a hot summer day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cantaloupe (see note)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 8 peppermint leaves
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1Half the melon, remove the seeds with a spoon and spoon out the flesh of the melon halves.
- 2Cut the melon into chunks and put into food processor. Add the remaining ingredients except for the sugar. Don't add sugar at this time.
- 3Mix until smooth.
- 4Pour into a container and freeze.
- 5Get it out after one hour and mix with a fork, so that you don't get too large ice chunks. Add sugar to taste, if it is not sweet enough to your taste.
- 6Put back into freezer for at least one hour. Mix again with a fork to your desired consistency.
- 7Serve in chilled glasses or in the melon halves. Garnish with lime wedge and mint leaves.
- 8NOTE on melon: you need about 1.3 pounds melon flesh. Do not add sugar first, because ripe melons are sweet enough. You can add sugar later to your taste.
- 9NOTE on serving: I serve this granita also in the remaining melon halves. Chill them too. This dessert can be made in advance. You can prepare it the day before serving, but mix it with a fork from time to time.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cantaloupe-Lime-Granita
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: