Recipe by Johnney
Nothing like a refreshing ice cold bowl of Ice Cream in the hot day's of summer, You will love this one. And don't forget to rate this if you try it. Thanks.
Top Review by mianbao
This is an edited review - I have decided not to assign any stars because of changes I made in the recipe. It turned out fairly good, but there did seem to be rather too much gelatin. I changed the recipe by using canned mango, with some of the syrup in place of the juice and decreasing the sugar because the fruit was sweetened. I also soaked the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold, rather than hot water, and then dissolved it over hot water. (The recipe's method may work fine, I just promised my Mom I would always treat gelatin like this.) This was an interesting experiment. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us.
- 1 lb cantaloupe, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cream or 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mango juice or 1⁄4 cup other fruit juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender or food processor, blend cantaloupe until smooth, Set aside.
- In a saucepan, dissolve gelatin in hot water ans stir until smooth, Let stand to cool.
- Beat egg yolks until smooth.
- Add cream or milk, 3/4 of the sugar, mango juice, and vanilla.
- Add to cantaloupe mixture along with the dissolved gelatin and blend for 1 minute.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fluffy, Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add blender mixture and fold in egg whites.
- Put into plastic container, cover and freeze until firm.
- Banana, mango, coconut or other tropical fruits can be substituted for the cantaloupe.