Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Nothing like a refreshing ice cold bowl of Ice Cream in the hot day's of summer, You will love this one. And don't forget to rate this if you try it. Thanks.
- 1 lb cantaloupe, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cream or 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mango juice or 1⁄4 cup other fruit juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a blender or food processor, blend cantaloupe until smooth, Set aside.
- In a saucepan, dissolve gelatin in hot water ans stir until smooth, Let stand to cool.
- Beat egg yolks until smooth.
- Add cream or milk, 3/4 of the sugar, mango juice, and vanilla.
- Add to cantaloupe mixture along with the dissolved gelatin and blend for 1 minute.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fluffy, Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add blender mixture and fold in egg whites.
- Put into plastic container, cover and freeze until firm.
- Banana, mango, coconut or other tropical fruits can be substituted for the cantaloupe.
This is an edited review - I have decided not to assign any stars because of changes I made in the recipe. It turned out fairly good, but there did seem to be rather too much gelatin. I changed the recipe by using canned mango, with some of the syrup in place of the juice and decreasing the sugar because the fruit was sweetened. I also soaked the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold, rather than hot water, and then dissolved it over hot water. (The recipe's method may work fine, I just promised my Mom I would always treat gelatin like this.) This was an interesting experiment. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us.