Recipe by mary winecoff
My friend grows the most amazing cantaloupes. After pigging out on most of one I decided to search for a great drink recipe using this sweet fruit. I found this drink from the Seattle-Post Intelligencer. Make sure you use only the sweetest cantaloupe you can find.
- 1 cantaloupe, seeded, peeled and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup light rum
- 4 cups ice, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl or food storage bag, combine the cantaloupe, sugar, lemon juice, mint and basil.
- Let the melon macerate in the refrigerator until very soft and juicy, about 2 hours. Meanwhile chill the glasses in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, puree the melon mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Add the rum and ice and blend until slushy.