Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 1 medium fresh cantaloupe, rind and seeds removed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced into chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced into chunks
- 4 slices bacon, cut into fourths
- salt and pepper
- 2 fresh limes
- Cut cantaloupe into half-moon shapes as follows: Start with 1/2-inch slices of cantaloupe.
- Using round cookie cutter, cut circle.
- Dissect circle with same round cookie cutter to create half moon, set aside.
- Slice chicken thinly into 2-inch strips.
- Marinate 2 to 3 hours in mixture of 1/4 cup fresh lime juice and 1/4 olive oil.
- Slide all ingredients onto long skewers, placing bacon next to chicken.
- Pierce marinated chicken strips at both ends and middle to form S-shape.
- Arrange cantaloupe, tomatoes, peppers and onion chunks on skewers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes in broiler or 6 on grill.
Oooh! This is SOO good!!! I bought a cantelope on sale at the store, but being as our household is just my boyfriend and myself, we couldn't eat it all before it went bad. So before it went bad- I made these! I used grape tomatoes rather than cherry because there were none at the grocery and didn't marinade the chicken as long as it says, simply due to time constraints. But YUM. My boyfriend said he was surprised how well the flavors go together- one does not usually think to combine things like chicken and onions with melon. Tropical tasting, but definitely savory still. Delicious!
What a great combo! I especially liked the blend of melon-onion flavors. I did not use green pepper (personal preference) and I substituted canadian bacon for bacon because that is what I had. My cook time was longer, probably because of the position of my broiler. My BF liked it so much he asked if he could have the leftovers for dinner today. Thanks Dancer for a unusual, tasty summer dinner.