Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pureed cantaloupe and spices are in this quick bread.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups cantaloupes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon clabber girl baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 2⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare 2 9x5 inch loaf pans by greasing and flouring them.
- In a large bowl beat together eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Puree' canteloupe in blender and add to mixture. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, and add to liquid, stirring just until combined.
- Pour batter into two prepared 9x5 inch pans and bake in a 325°F oven for about 1 hour, or until tests done. (A toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.).
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes while you make the glaze.
- Glaze: melt butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring once every minute. Add pecans.
- After pan has set on wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan and place bread on wire rack, which has been placed on waxed paper. Pour praline glaze over top of warm bread. Allow bread to cool before slicing.
This is a great bread. The taste of cantaloupe is almost imperceptible and the texture is wonderful. Even with one cup of whole wheat flour the loaves were moist and delicious. I cut back the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and it was just right. I also skipped the glaze (didn't need it) and measured 2 cups of puree instead of 2 cups of cubed cantaloupe. I'm so thankful for a way to use those undesirable cantaloupes I have the misfortune of buying from time to time. Thanks.
Yummy bread! Love the taste. The only problem I had was with the topping. I made as directed, but the topping turned out more like a streusel topping and not a glaze. I should've trusted my instincts and stopped cooking it. It was still really delicious though. I have the rest of it packaged in the freezer to take out when needed. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.