Prep 2 mins
Cook 45 mins
Title is self explanatory! I usually have to double this recipe because my family eats so much of it at one sitting! I am always asked for this recipe, so enjoy!! ;-)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, tenderize onions in butter in a medium saucepan, but do not brown.
- Stir in flour and peppers.
- Add milk.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Add Velveeta and stir until melted.
- Add macaroni to a 1 quart casserole dish and stir in cheese sauce until well blended.
- Bake uncovered in a 350* oven for 25 minutes, then add tomato slices to top of mac'n cheese and cook 5 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes and eat as much as you can stand!
Yum! I used Rigatoni pasta as I had no macaroni, used about 2 cups but kept the sauce ingredients the same..was still cheesy and very creamy. Our processed cheese is called Chesdale here, not as orange as Velveeta but still delicious. Made enough for 3 servings.
This dish was made on 9/11/08 as part of mine and SO's dinner. And After reading Chef flower7's review, I decided to cut the milk down to a 3/4 cup. And increased the flour and butter to 2 Tablespoons each and with those adjustments, the sauce turned out just right for us.The texture was creamy, and the taste from both types of pepper gave it "a little bite" which was nice.Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
Yummy! I had trouble getting the white sauce to thicken (it never did) so just followed the directions otherwise and it was just fine after baking. Looking at other recipes with white sauce, I think it was too much milk for the amount of butter & flour so next time I may try with less milk. Used light Velveeta and skim milk and skipped the tomatoes. I got about 3-4 servings (depends how hungry you are lol) Thanks for the recipe Wendy!