Recipe by joan in CNY
This is easy to make, although a bit pricey with the cost of mincemeat these days! But it's the best I ever tasted!
Top Review by Pam in the Kitchen
Fantastic!! It was so easy to make and came out absolutely perfect! Just so I remember for next year - I put in dried apricots, dates, dried cranberries and dried mixed berries instead of the candied fruit. Soaked the fruit in dark rum overnight and used the brandy/rum flavored mincemeat. Delicious!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (28 ounce) jarready to use mincemeat (Borden's or Nonesuch)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsley chopped
- 1 lb mixed candied fruit (2 cups)
- walnuts, for decorating
- maraschino cherry, for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9 inch springform pan.
- Line with wax paper.
- Butter again.
- Sift flour and baking soda.
- Combine eggs, mincemeat, sweetened condensed milk, chopped walnuts and candied fruit.
- Fold in dry ingredients.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake in 300°F oven for 2 hours, until center springs back and top is golden.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Turn out and remove wax paper.
- Refrigerate, well wrapped, at least 24 hours before decorating, slicing and serving.