1 hr 15 mins
I was looking through my cookbook for a recipe when I noticed that I had posted a recipe (some time ago) for Cannoli Shells (#40291), but never posted the recipes for the fillings (OOPS!!). Here are the filling recipes that should have been posted along with the shells. These fillings are ricotta based. "Cook time" = chilling time. NOTE: Impastata (aka pastry ricotta) is what is used. The texture of Impastata ricotta is completely smooth (no graininess like regular ricotta) and much drier than regular ricotta. Directions are written for regular ricotta because impastata can be difficult to find.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cannoli Filling 1
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese, drained (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips (I prefer using the "mini" chips)
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel, cut fine (optional)
- 3 fluid ounces Creme de Cacao (or liqueur of your choice,amaretto also works well)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Cannoli Filling 2
- 6 cups ricotta cheese (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated (optional) or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped candied citron peel
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- 6 glace cherries, cut in half (for decoration) (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling on shells (optional)
- 1Cannoli Filling # 1: (Will fill 8 large cannoli):.
- 2Cream drained ricotta until very smooth.
- 3Add chocolate chips, liqueur, orange peel and sugar; mix very well.
- 4Chill filling until needed.
- 5Using a very small spoon or pastry bag, fill cannoli shells.
- 6Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 7Cannoli Filling # 2 (Will fill 10-12 cannoli):.
- 8In a bowl, sift together the sugar, cinnamon and cocoa (if using).
- 9Mix ricotta well (until creamy) with sifted dry ingredients.
- 10Add vanilla, fruit peels and grated chocolate (if not using the cocoa); mix until all is well blended.
- 11Chill mixture until cold before filling shells.
- 12When shells are filled, smooth the filling evenly with the end of the shell, and decorate each end with a cherry half.
- 13Lightly sprinkle the filled shells with Confectioner's sugar.
- 14Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- 15Note: Cannoli can also be filled with pasticciera cream (pastry cream) or tortoni ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cannoli Filling (#1 and # 2)
Serving Size: 1 (2735 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.2
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 202.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 27.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel
candied orange peel