Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was looking through my cookbook for a recipe when I noticed that I had posted a recipe (some time ago) for Cannoli Shells (#40291), but never posted the recipes for the fillings (OOPS!!). Here are the filling recipes that should have been posted along with the shells. These fillings are ricotta based. "Cook time" = chilling time. NOTE: Impastata (aka pastry ricotta) is what is used. The texture of Impastata ricotta is completely smooth (no graininess like regular ricotta) and much drier than regular ricotta. Directions are written for regular ricotta because impastata can be difficult to find.
Cannoli Filling 1
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese, drained (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips (I prefer using the "mini" chips)
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel, cut fine (optional)
- 3 fluid ounces Creme de Cacao (or liqueur of your choice,amaretto also works well)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Cannoli Filling 2
- 6 cups ricotta cheese (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated (optional) or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped candied citron peel
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- 6 glace cherries, cut in half (for decoration) (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling on shells (optional)
- Cannoli Filling # 1: (Will fill 8 large cannoli):.
- Cream drained ricotta until very smooth.
- Add chocolate chips, liqueur, orange peel and sugar; mix very well.
- Chill filling until needed.
- Using a very small spoon or pastry bag, fill cannoli shells.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cannoli Filling # 2 (Will fill 10-12 cannoli):.
- In a bowl, sift together the sugar, cinnamon and cocoa (if using).
- Mix ricotta well (until creamy) with sifted dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla, fruit peels and grated chocolate (if not using the cocoa); mix until all is well blended.
- Chill mixture until cold before filling shells.
- When shells are filled, smooth the filling evenly with the end of the shell, and decorate each end with a cherry half.
- Lightly sprinkle the filled shells with Confectioner's sugar.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Note: Cannoli can also be filled with pasticciera cream (pastry cream) or tortoni ice cream.