Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Got this from Fine cooking. The riccota makes a tender-cake-like cookie. Contributed by by Judi Terrell Linden.
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (I use Pillsbury)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 4 1⁄2 ounces chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking soda and salt until well blended.
- With a stand mixer (use the paddle attachment) or a hand mixer, beat the butter and ricotta on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until blended, about 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl. On medium speed, add the egg and beat until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until almost completely blended. Pour in the chocolate chips and continue mixing until just incorporated. Scrape the dough down from the sides of the bowl, cover with plastic, and refrigerate until slightly firmer, about half an hour.
- Heat the oven to 350°F Line large baking sheets with nonstick baking liners or parchment. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are light golden, about 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheets on racks for 5 minutes before transferring them to racks to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature or freeze in an airtight container, separating the cookie layers with waxed paper.
I found these to be just okay. They bake up a little thin and are easy to burn. Their taste is a bit plain. I tried a similar cookie recently that tasted a lot like a cannoli and I thought these might be similar, but it looks like I'm still in search of that magical cookie.
These cookies are very cake-like in texture as stated. Very quick and easy to put together, and fast to bake and eat. The ricotta cheese is tasted throughout the cookie and helps moisten and lighten them up. The orange zest also adds great flavor. They are also not overly sweet which makes them a very nice, simple adult cookie.