Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The airy ricotta filling—with chocolate chips and flecks of candied orange peel speckled throughout—makes for a perfect marriage of Italian and American. From the Gourmet magazine January 2009 issue.
- 4 big graham crackers, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1⁄3 cup candied orange peel, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Invert bottom of springform pan (to make it easier to slide cake off bottom) and lock on side.
- Pulse graham crackers, almonds, and sugar in a food processor until finely ground, then transfer to a bowl. Stir in butter until combined.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and 1/2 inch up side of pan.
- Bake crust 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature (still in pan), about 15 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Make cheesecake:
- Stir together ricotta, granulated sugar, zest, and egg yolk in a large bowl until combined, then stir in candied orange peel and chocolate chips.
- Beat egg whites (all 5) and a pinch of salt in another bowl with an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Fold into ricotta mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Pour filling into crust and bake until top is puffed and golden, about 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge to loosen cake, then remove side of pan. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Dust with confectioners sugar.