1/9 Photos of Cannoli
1 hr 45 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
This is one of my favorite Italian desserts and the perfect ending to any Italian dinner. The shells are pretty simple to make, and taste so much better than the ready-made shells you buy in the Italian markets. Note that cooking time also includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white wine
- shortening, for frying
- 1To make shells, mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- 2Cut in butter.
- 3Add egg yolks; stir with a fork.
- 4Stir in wine, 1 tablespooon at a time, with a fork until dough clings together.
- 5Form a ball with the dough and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 6Roll dough almost paper thin, on a well-floured surface.
- 7Using the rim of a margarita glass (about 3-4 inches across), make circle imprints into rolled dough.
- 8Using a paring knife, make sure circles are cut all the way through.
- 9Roll each circle of dough around a metal cannoli tube, overlaping the ends and press to seal, flaring out the edges slightly.
- 10Fry one or two at a time in hot melted shortening (about 360°F) for approximately 1 minute, turning to brown all sides.
- 11Remove from hot grease and drain on paper towels, seam side down.
- 12Let cool a minute or two before trying to remove metal tube.
- 13To remove the tube hold cannoli shell down on the paper towel and carefully slide the tube out one end.
- 14Leave cannoil shells on paper towel, seam side down to cool completely.
- 15~NOTE~Shells can be stored in airtight containers and made several days prior to filling.
- 16For filling, drain ricotta cheese over cheesecloth if ricotta is watery.
- 17Combine ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until combined.
- 18Squeeze Maraschino cherries with paper towels to remove all liquid.
- 19(If you don't squeeze them good, you will have a pink water filling!).
- 20Stir in cherries and chocolate chips into the ricotta mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- 21For a lighter filling, you may whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to form stiff peaks, and fold into filling mixture at this step.
- 22Chill filling for about 30 minutes before piping into cooled cannoli shells.
- 23You may garnish the cannoli by sprinkling powdered sugar on top.
- 24Whipped cream, a cherry, and shaved chocolate can also be used to garnish the top.
- 25Keep refrigerated until time of serving.
Nutritional Facts for Cannoli
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.6
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 76.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: