Recipe by Johnney
Cannoli's are my favorite desert, If you need the Canolli Tube here is one online source I found where to get them. http://www.niccolisdeli.com.Also from an email I got from another member, she had a problem with the filling being too thin to fill the cannoli see note below for remedy.
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 egg yolk, beaten slightly
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons minced candied citron peel or 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- SHELL: Resift flour with sugar and cinnamon in a small heap on bread board.
- Make a well in center and pour wine into it.
- Stir from center out to mix.
- Knead dough until smooth and stiff, about 15 minutes.
- (Kneading and rolling work best on a marble Board or a regular board with a stiff cotton cover.) If dough still seems moist and sticky, knead in more flour.
- It must be quite stiff.
- If too dry to roll easily, add a few more drops of wine and knead inches.
- Cover dough with a warm bowl and let stand two hours in a moderately cool place.
- Roll out the dough as thin as paper.
- Cut into five-inch rounds and wrap each around a metal cannoli tube.
- (Cut smaller, about 3", if to be used on the smaller cannoli tubes.) Wrap dough loosely around form so that about.
- 25" of the form protrudes at each end.
- Seal by brushing a little egg yolk (a feather brush works best) on the overlapping edge.
- Fry two at a time in deep hot fat for one minute, or until browned on both sides.
- Lift out very carefully with a slotted spoon or tongs.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- When cool, gently remove from the form and fill with the desired filling.
- Refrigerate after filling.
- Unfilled shells will keep about 6 weeks, boxed, in a cool dry place.
- Filled shells should be served soon after making.
- FILLING: Beat ricotta in blender or bowl for about a minute.
- Add sugar and beat until very light and creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add cinnamon, citron and chocolate.
- Mix until thoroughly blended, (can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.) Fill a pastry bag using a large pipping tip, Fill each shell and dust with powdered sugar.
- NOTE: If the ricotta is too wet or thin here is the remedy,.
- The cause is usually the ricotta that had not been sufficiently drained. You may want to try draining the filling. Put it in cheese cloth and hang it over a pan in the refrigerator. This will hopefully help.