Shon Marie's Note:
I needed a recipe for canning saurkraut and someone was nice enough from the boards to recommend a site to me. So I am posting this recipe on here. (After checking my mothers recipe's she had this recipe.) I know that we loved it!
My Private Note
- 1Remove outer leaves and any undesirable portions from firm mature heads of cabbage; wash and drain. Cut into halves or quarters; remove core. Use a shredder or sharp knife to cut cabbage into thin shreds about the thickness of a dime.
- 2In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 3 tablespoons salt with 5 lbs. shredded cabbage. Let salted cabbage stand for several minutes to wilt slightly; this allows packing without excessive breaking or bruising of the shreds.
- 3Pack salted cabbage firmly and evenly into a large, clean pickling container. Using a wooden spoon, tapper or hands, press down firmly until the juice comes to the surface.
- 4Repeat shredding, salting and packing of cabbage until the container is filled to within 3 to 4 inches of the top. If juice does not cover cabbage, add brine: 1 1/2 tablespoons salt to 1 quart water; bring brine to a boil; cool.
- 5Cover cabbage with muslin or cheesecloth and tuck edges down against the inside of the container. Weight down cabbage under brine. Formation of gas bubbles indicates fermentation is taking place. Remove and discard scum formation each day. A room temperature of 70 degrees to 75 degrees F is best for fermenting cabbage. Fermentation is usually complete in 3 to 6 weeks.
- 6TO CAN: Bring sauerkraut to a simmer (185 to 210degrees F). Do not boil. Pack hot cabbage into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes, in a boiling water canner.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canning Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (5798 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1364.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 45013.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 317.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 130.7 g
- Sugars 203.5 g
- Protein 81.8 g